The economic crisis of 1997 affected everyone in Thailand, even His Majesty the King. Seeing many of his subjects suffering, he advised the Thai people to change their economic philosophy in order to cope with present economic adversity and withstand future economic insecurity. His Majesty’s words have become known as the Philosophy of Sufficiency Economy and have been used as the guiding principle in drafting the current 9th National Economic and Social Development Plan of Thailand.
INGREDENTS OF SUFFICIENCY ECONOMY
- The State Of The Mind, Self Reliance
- Social Affairs- Horizontal Connections
- Use Technology, But Don’t Throw Away The Indigenous “Old Wisdom”
Sufficiency means to lead a reasonably comfortable life, without excess, or overindulgence in luxury, but enough.
THIS MAY BE YOUR LIST
- FOOD CROPS (yam, rice, beans, plantain) etc.
- COOKING OIL
Put costs /item on your list and determine to reduce your expenses by at least 30% for a start.
WHAT CAN YOU GROW/FARM?
- WHAT AND WHAT CAN YOU GROW FROM YOUR LIST FROM A ZERO ECONOMY?
- MAKE THE LIST NOW.
- MAKE SURE YOU ARE SAVING YOURSELF AT LEAST 30%?
- WHAT IS THE PROBLEM? DO YOU NEED ANY HELP?
- START SMALL AND TARGET TO GROW BIG.
HOW MUCH LAND DO YOU HAVE?
- USE THE RATIO 30:30:30:10, to apportion your land to the different things you may want to grow.
- PERENIAL CROPS- 30%
- FOOD CROPS 30%
- RESERVOIR / PROTEIN SOURCE 30%
- LIVING/DOMESTIC/VEGETABLES- 10%
WHAT DO YOU WANT TO DO NOW?
- Begin by changing the way you look at farming, from poverty to stability.
- Have an open mind to accept and utilize all available God given resources around you.
- Start something today, no matter how small.
- Maintain an attitude of co-operative.
- Don’t be a sole hero.
- Try as much as possible to mix your belief with your practice 100/100.
- An individual/ family should be able to comfortably provide for itself.
- Should be able to feed at least 1 more person
- Should be able to preserve any excess
- Should be able to sell what is left over for gain
- Should be able to teach the next person around you these principles.
- Should be able to maintain this practice on a sustainable basis.