We discovered that a lot of farmers don’t know what mulching is and of what benefit it can be to them.
The truth is that the benefits of mulching a farm cannot be overemphasized and it’s only proper that farmers are beginning to understand the benefits accrued when using mulching film.
A mulch is a layer of material applied to the soil in order to
- Retain the moisture of the soil as it has the capacity to reduce the amount of water lost from the soil due to evaporation.
- Weed management: Essentially mulching reduces the amount of heat from the soil and this in turn regulates the sprouting of weeds all over the farm. Holes in the mulch for plants tend to be the only pathway for weeds to grow and therefore they can easily be managed.
- Mulching improves crop quality since it reduces contact with the soil and decreases fruit rot and diseases and in turn keeps the fruit clean.
- It also makes your farm look visually appealing (attractive).
A lot of materials can be used for mulching and they include:
- Mulching film,
- Shredded woods,
- Organic residues (grass clippings, leaves, wood chips, hay, rice straw, sawdust, shredded newspapers, etc.),
- Old carpet,
- Plastic and rubber mulch.
Seeing all these benefits and how readily materials for mulching can be made available, we also advise our clients to as much as possible mulch their farms with any of the materials they can easily provide.
Feel free to contact us for further details…